Wednesday 7 July 2010

Day 270 - 27th of May

8:12am 浅草スマイル

I’m in the main building of the hostel, on the third floor, sitting in front of the computer. My flight’s booked for today; I did it soon after we got here a little before 7. Remarkably, as soon as I had booked, mum rang up telling me that dad was just about to book the same flight, so luckily I let them know just in time. Carly’s sleeping in her room now, and we’ll probably be leaving here at about 10; back to the airport again. At least I can get some sleep on the train there; I got about an hour this morning coming back from Tsudanuma at a quarter to 5; it was too cold in Makkas to sleep. Anyway, the worst is over, and now I can look forward to going home tonight…


12:39pm 押上

We’re on the platform at Oshiage, waiting for the rapid to Narita Airport. Carly’s flight is at 5:30, so we’re leaving plenty of leeway just in case; it does take a long time to get to the airport, and we don’t want the same thing happening again. In fact, Carly too had had the wrong flight time in her head, and it was only because her mum sent her the itinerary, that she realised the actual time; so lucky!!! At almost 10, we went downstairs, and made our way over to the 7/11 for some breakfast; last jelly cup in Japan. We sat in the empty bar to eat, and then I got my itinerary printed off; my flights not till 20:55. So, I have a little while longer to wait around, but that’s okay; still have to write out the last set of postcards. Anyway, after breakfast, I noticed there was a keyboard in the room, and couldn’t resist banging on it for a while; I tried out my new sheet music. Time past swiftly, and soon it was 12. This was when we made our leave for the Toei Line; it wasn’t much fun at all. We had to talk all the way over to the other side of the station to find the elevator, and then walk all the way back underground to get to the tracks; Japan, you really aren’t very wheelchair friendly, or for that matter, unbelievably luggage-laden people friendly. Well, we did it and now the hardest part is over. Now all we have to do is ride the train to the airport, get off and wait. Perhaps they’ll have showers and I’ll be able to freshen up; I haven’t had a shower in over 24 hours!!!


4:28pm 成田空港

Carly has just gone through security, so she’s on her way; I still have a while to wait. I’m sitting here in the waiting area, reading some of the readings on the wall and they’re just great – ‘To “Samurai”, no sword allowed into aircraft,’ and ‘To business people of the world, sharp objects are prohibited on board except for your sharp brains.’ Just a little bit of amusement to keep me occupied… After arriving at the airport (it took well over an hour), we went through “security” (they were so lax, all we had to do was show our passports), and then Carly went to check in; Jetstar staff hadn’t arrived at that point as I soon found out. So, Carly got to get rid of all her checked baggage, but I had to continue lugging around mine. We found the toilets, and took it in turns, changing and freshening up. They didn’t have any showers, but I still feel way better now that I’ve changed clothes and brushed my teeth. I also got my carryon bag packed a bit better; it was very rushed last night. After that, we had lunch and I felt it only right to once again indulge in Japanese cuisine, and what better meal than gyudon and miso soup; I’m feeling good now. Now I just have to wait until 5:30 before the Jetstar check in begins, so I think I’ll write out these postcards…


7:57pm 成田空港

It feels good to sit down; I’m nearby gate 88, the very farthest in the airport; tells you something about Jetstar right. After checking in, I did some last minute souvenir shopping and mailed my postcards, before getting through customs smoothly. I bought some sweets and sake in the duty free area, and then had omu rice for dinner; my last meal in Japan. I;m glad it was nice, though a tad expensive; it’s airport food after all. Basically straight after dinner I came here; had to take the shuttle. I realised I’m an hour early, but I really don’t feel like doing anything else; I’m absolutely beat. We’ll probably start boarding pretty soon anyway. I’ll be happy when I’m on the plane, and hopefully I’ll be able to get some sleep. Well, it’s been a long day, and an even longer journey. This will be my last blog entry; of this I will be very glad. I feel this blog has helped me in many ways, and may provide others with an inside perspective on ryugakusei life. It’s been a big job though, and it’ll probably be weird not to feel obligated to write an entry every day. A lot of things will feel weird going back. While I felt very little culture shock, I think the reverse culture shock will hit me hard; at least I don’t have to worry about jet lag. I can’t wait to see my family tomorrow; one day too late! It’s my nan’s birthday tomorrow and I think hugging her will be the best present of all. Well, it’s been a pleasure. Hopefully you have gotten something out of reading this, as I have got out of experiencing it all. Until next time,

Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment