Monday 3 May 2010

Day 243 - 30th of April

9:06pm ホテル

天気:晴れ、曇り

Well, we woke up a little late this morning (8:30), so that only gave us 30 minutes to eat breakfast; which was included in our accommodation package. It was a huge, traditional Japanese breakfast, so there was miso soup, 漬物 (tsukemono – pickled vegetables), shredded cabbage, sweet egg, salmon, seaweed and of course rice; it was so filling! We’re going to hopefully leave for the ferry soon, and go out to 生島 (Chikubu Island); looking forward to it…


12:03pm 彦根港

We’re at the port now, waiting for the ferry to arrive. It doesn’t leave until 12:30, so we have a bit of time. Apparently, it takes 40 minutes to get to the island, so it’s going to be a great ride… We walked from the station (after taking the bus), and have been here for about half an hour, taking heaps of photos of the port area, and the lake, which is absolutely massive you can barely make out the mountains on the opposite shore; so excited!


2:18pm 船舶

We’re on the ferry, making our way back to Hikone now; we’re sitting outside on top and it’s so windy. The island was absolutely magical!!! We went around to a load of temples and shrines, me switching between photos and video. There were lots of steps leading right up the three-storey, red pagoda on top. In a nearby temple (called 竹生島宝厳寺 – Chikubushima Hougonji), I lit a candle for my poppy, who passed away recently; Alex lit one for her pop too. I think it was the most perfect, serene place for me to take a moment to remember him… And the wildlife!!! There were so many birds – eagles, seagulls and other sea birds, all nesting in the trees on the cliffs; their cries were all so beautiful. Alex spotted a large brown snake, and coincidentally we had just past a snake shrine; I think it’s a good omen. At this shrine, there was a torii on the outcrop below facing the lake, and around it were scattered hundreds of little ceramic plates. People would throw them from the platform above where we were, with their names and wishes written on them; I thought it was a really interesting practice. Also, in the temple where I lit the candle, there were thousands of babushka-esque dolls, in which you could insert a scroll of paper with a wish; very cool. Coming to the island was definitely worth it, and even though time was fleeting (we only got an hour and 20 minutes), we got to see everything it had to offer. We did have to rush a little on the way down, to catch the ferry on time, but I couldn’t help pick up a souvenir on the way. Now, I am seriously considering writing about the island for my field report in Religion; I could start as soon as I got home. I took plenty of photos, and the video will help me to remember… Well, I think once we get back to Hikone, we’re going to return to the hotel, and then hit the baths. Might get something to eat before that, although I’m really not that hungry; that breakfast really was filling…


4:24pm バスのりば - 彦根駅

We’re in the bus stop waiting for the next bus to the hotel… After getting off the ferry, we were making our way back to the station when we came across a quaint little café and decided to get something to eat; I noticed they had curry rice. The inside was just as quaint as the exterior (I felt like I was stepping into a cottage), and was up to its ears in cute paraphernalia. We were soon seated in High-back chairs, enjoying the curry; it certainly hit the spot. Upon leaving, the lady there gave up each a mini copper matchbox car, after Alex commented on them; that was unexpected and wonderful. Still waiting…


6:37pm ホテル

Just had a dip in the Jacuzzi, and now I feel wonderful. I wonder what we’re going to have for dinner; always thinking about food I am. After that rice, I’m not really hungry anyway. Well, Alex isn’t back yet, so she must be enjoying herself…


9:39 ホテル

Just got back from eating dinner; we ended up going to Roppongi House again. This time, I tried the tonkotsu ramen, and Alex stuck with her tomato ramen; it was that good! After talking for a while, we again went to Lawsons for some dessert, and I got some caramel/chocolate ice cream; yummy. Today was absolutely incredible, and even though we did heaps of walking, my feet aren’t sore at all; I find that pretty surprising. Anyway, I’m not really sure what’s in store for tomorrow. I think we’ll just make it up as we go along…

No comments:

Post a Comment