Wednesday 21 April 2010

Day 234 - 21st of April

10:16pm セミナーハウス

天気:晴れ

This incessant switching between rainy and sunny days is getting rather tiresome, although I do very much enjoy the sunny, warm days, like today; just wish it would stay constant. Anyway, apart from the weather, today was wonderful… I woke up with my hair standing up tall; that’s what I get for sleeping on it wet. But actually, it looks really good, so I kept it that way. I got my blog done, and then got some study in for my last vocab quiz in Speaking; kinda sad in a strange way. I soon got to uni, and did the quiz, which went fine, before we went over some more grammar points. Saigo Sensei let us know that the final exam will include stuff from the entire semester, which means 10 chapters of grammar and vocab; I’m scared already. After class, I spent the next hour getting my homework for Reading and Writing; I was much more focused today. We did some revision in class, since we have an exam on Friday, and then I made my over to the ATM before my next class. In Gender and Sexuality today, we watched a documentary about host clubs called “The Great Happiness Space”, which was fascinating and terrible at the same time. Basically, a host club is where a woman can go to “get her dreams fulfilled”, by paying to spend time with a host of her choice. This documentary centred on a host club in Osaka, which is kind of awesome because I’ve been to the area where it’s located; between Shinsaibashi and Namba. The hosts are attractive, products that the women use to “heal” themselves emotionally.


The challenge for the host is to lead the women on as long as possible, in order to maximise profit. They rake the streets for women who look like they have the money to spend (they seek out girls with designer labels), and try their hardest to persuade them to come to the club. The average salary for one of the guys at this particular club was $10,000 a month, with the top ranking guy earning $50,000; how do they do it!!! Well unfortunately, host clubs have created a situation where women are forced into the sex industry in order to afford it. One of the women interviewed said that 70-80% of clients are in the industry! Women who are selling their bodies are of course feeling bad about themselves, so where do they turn; the host clubs. These men will listen to them, and give them advice, and make them feel loved; human nature is such that no one wants to be lonely. While you might think that these men of the host clubs are absolutely despicable (well I guess they are in a way, creating false relationships), it’s just as bad for them. Working in this trade has completely altered their perception of women; they’re playing off each other. The women go around to several clubs, saying “I love you”, “I want to marry you”, to several different guys; and some of them are even in multiple relationships. While some of guys want to have normal relationships, they no they can’t, and they have no trust in women anymore anyway; so they too, are lonely. So yeah, there’s another example of crazy Japan.


After that, I rode home and had lunch while watching a talk show that was discussing the volcanic eruption in Iceland, and how this has impeded many people returning to their home countries; all flights into many parts of Europe have been cancelled. In KIX, they’re letting passengers sleep in the lounge for free, and giving them water and food and use of amenities for free too; people have been waiting there since Saturday. Gosh I would hate to be in that situation; really glad I live in Australia right now. Ash, and a few other people are worried they won’t be able to get back, so I’m really hoping the air has cleared by then. After eating, I talked with my family for a bit, and then went out the lounge to wait for Ash and Rachel; we were going to see Alice in Wonderland. It was about 4:20 when we set off, and we got to the Hirakata Cineplex just on 5; we walked. Amazingly, when we arrived we were able to catch the 5 o’clock screening; it was a bit rushed! Unfortunately, we really didn’t have time to buy food or drink, so no caramel popcorn for me; oh well, saved some money. We made it in time to catch a few previews (including Toy Story 3), and then got comfy for the feature film. And oh wow, I absolutely loved it; everything about it was wonderful. It was definitely worth it in 3-D too; just as good as Avatar in that respect. After the movie, I had a quick look in the shoe shop, and then we made our way back home; it was already past 7. Getting back, I had dinner (pizza), and then sat around chatting until about 9:30. Since I don’t have any homework tomorrow, I’ve been a little lazy, and have been chatting with Alex for the past couple of hours; also downloaded the soundtrack from the movie. Well, better get some sleep now, hoping it’s a nice day tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment