Monday 26 April 2010

Day 239 - 26th of April

11:20pm セミナーハウス

天気:曇り

Well, the streak of sunny weather was broken today (never three days of sun in a row), but although it was cloudy, at least it was warm. I got up at about 8, and had vegemite on English Muffins for breakfast. I don’t know if I’ve already mentioned this but before coming here, Ash had never heard of English muffins, which I think is quite funny actually. But, it just goes to show those kind of names don’t always reflect where they’re actually made. Anyway, after getting ready, I made my way to uni and got to class on time. Today in Speaking, we finished off our final grammar pattern (ever!), and then basically spent the rest of the lesson stuffing around. Well, we sang our last song together in class, called バンザイ~好きでよかった (Banzai~suki de yokatta) by ウルフルズ (Urufuruzu – strange band name), and watched a clip from a program showing a restaurant near Otsu where they serve giant (and I mean giant) portions of food like omu-rice, gyudon, katsudon, and curry-rice. The whole class was awestruck, but at the same time our mouths were watering. And so incredibly cheap too; I really want to find it!!! So that was fun. In my break, I got my homework done, sitting with Sarah and Katie the lounge, and then worked on kanji.


We started on the final lesson in Reading and Writing class today, and also got the instructions for our second and final sakubun. This time, we have to write about one of our favourite books. Since I haven’t actually read a book in ages, and Sensei said that manga is okay too, I think I’m going to write about Reborn. I know I haven’t read very much yet, but I can talk about what I’ve liked so far, how it has shaped my perception of Shonen manga (manga for boys), how I’ve found reading it (reasonably easygoing for the most part), and what I thinks going to happen next; I think that’ll be fine. After class, I bumped into Maarika in the corridor, and she told me that most people wouldn’t be turning up for practice till 6 this evening. So, she suggested that I post a note on the door letting everyone know that practice wouldn’t start till then; I wasn’t going to go in at 4:30, if I could get other stuff done instead. So, I did that and then made my way home. After lunch, I worked on my presentations some more, trying to make sentences that included the grammar patterns we’ve learned. 5:30 came around faster than I would have liked, and then it was time to go. Since it had gotten colder, I rugged up a bit, and then made my way back.


It ended up being just Maarika, Mori and Midori Sempai, and me practicing this evening. I went to pick up the key, and then Maarika and I got everything set up, and after a bit of practice the other two showed up. It was quite productive though, the two girls helping us through Miyabi by playing along; we went through it several times. I have resigned to playing the first koto part (leaving the solo to Maarkia), as the second part is just too burdensome for the time we have to master it; the performance is next Friday. Still, I felt really accomplished playing with the sempai; we all worked together really well. Mori also gave us our tickets for Sensei’s koto performance, and they were nice enough to pay for one for Carly too; I was so grateful. We also planned some get together parties (karaoke and the like), which will be coming up soon; really looking forward to them. Pack up ran very smoothly today, except for one thing. The straps on the new bag Mori Sempai had got to carry the makura and stands, to replace the old one that had a hole in it, broke. I heard her scream, and the subsequent crash of things hitting the floor, and quickly rushed up the stairwell to help out; everything was fine. Luckily she had another bag, and hopefully this one will be a little bit more durable; I guess we shouldn’t put so much in them either.


I rode home with Maarika, and as we were nearing the seminar houses, we met up with Rachael; I slowed down, and talked with her the rest of the way. Getting home, I dropped my stuff off, and then went upstairs to the kitchen, sitting with Ash and Rachel watching TV for a while before cooking dinner; gyudon. I stayed up there until about 9, and then got into a bit of study, helping Hugo a bit with his homework too. Julie was kind enough to lend me her battery charger, so that’s all under control now. I think I’m going to transfer another video across, just so I have two blank tapes ready for golden week; I’m sure I’ll be seeing a lot. Apart from going to Hikone with Alex, I’m going to try to get in a few day trips; Katie and Sarah have some really interesting days planned. It’s coming up to crunch time once more, and I’ve got a lot to think about, and a lot to do. I’m really looking forward to this holiday, but at the same time I’m hoping that I won’t be stressing about everything I have to do; if I manage my time effectively, I think I’ll be fine. Well, I’m going to get some sleep now…

No comments:

Post a Comment