Tuesday 2 February 2010

Day 156 - 2nd of February

10:11pm セミナーハウス
天気:雨天
Another rainy day; with the cold and wind added in just for fun. Actually, it was quite mild this morning, especially since I was rushing to class; I was stripping off layers. For some reason I was just really slow getting ready this morning, but I managed to get to class on time anyway. It didn’t notice it yesterday, but our Speaking teacher speaks entirely in Japanese too. I guess that means Japanese is becoming so natural to my ears, that I’m just taking it in; so happy. So yeah, my listening is getting really good, but I’m still struggling with my speaking. I think this semester, in this class, I’m going to get much better though; here’s hoping. It was a very fast paced class, but I do enjoy Saigo sensie’s teaching style. We were doing revision, and he would make the class come up with sentences on the spot, using the grammar points we’ve learnt. I felt I bit sluggish, having not done enough during the holidays; I think a lot of people felt that. After class I went and had lunch in cafeteria 3, with Jo and Kim (from my class), and Rachel, Liz, and Sarah.

We chatted and had a good laugh, until it was time for my 1:15 class; Religion in Japan. Already, I like the Professor. She really engaging, and seems down to earth. We have three field trips, and a few papers to write, and we’re covering Shinto, Buddhism, and Japan’s contemporary religions like Happy Science; it’s going to be really interesting. After class (which today’s wasn’t a full 1 and a half), I went down and checked my mail box to find a letter from Nanny and Poppy. I saw Hugo in the lounge, and talked with him for a while, before Biancha bullied me to go home. I made my way over to the convenience store first, to pick up a folder and something to nibble on, and ended up bumping into Jacinthe on the way. I talked to her in Makkas for a while as she was enjoying her coffee from Seattle’s Best. She had a class to go to at three, so we separated and I left for home.

Soon after getting back, I caught up with Simon, and he wanted to go into to Hirakatashi to see if he could get his watch fixed. I decided to join him, and we made our way part way down the east gate, before it started to rain, at which point Simon suggested we turn back. We did, but it didn’t feel like going home, so I suggested we go to Midori; we saw Luke along the way. In Midori, we had a quick browse, and I was able to find a kanji game for the DS; 200万人の漢検 (200mannin no kanken – 2 million people’s kanji test). I also had a much needed play on one of the pianos. We went into Life (grocery store) below, and I found my beloved mochi, that I’ve only ever found here. I also picked up some more あんこパン (ankopan – red bean paste bun). We crossed over to “The Shoes” (that’s what the shop’s called), and actually found some in our size. There wasn’t anything I really liked, but I might go back.

Getting back, I got straight into playing my new game, and found it addicting. It’s going to be so helpful. Some of the games include having to write (with the stylus) the correct kanji, or hiragana, and choose the correct okurigana for a word. I’ve already pasted level 10 (the easiest) kanji quiz, and now it’s suddenly got a lot harder. You have to think really fast since there’s a 30 second time limit, and the fact that in don’t know some of the compounds makes it difficult. Also, it is sensitive to stroke order, especially with the hiragana, so it will improve my writing to no end; a great purchase. I went up and had dinner around 7, and then chatted with Ash and Katie for a few hours. Finally I got back down here, and played some more before the batteries got low, forcing me to stop and let it recharge. I’ve already finished the revision for Reading and Writing, and I’ll go over all the kanji again from Genki II, then I’ll get started on the revision for Speaking. Tomorrow’s a 10 o’clock start, so better get ready for bed. Hugo’s doing his Japanese homework, asking questions periodically; it’s great to help out, just like with Diego…

No comments:

Post a Comment