Wednesday 10 February 2010

Day 163 - 9th of February

11:40pm セミナーハウス
天気:曇り
I’ve just been talking with Simon in the computer room. Gosh today was such a nice, mild day; the warmest I’ve felt in a long time… I got up at 9:30, and had toast for breakfast, since I don’t have any cereal; have to do that tomorrow too. First up was Reading, and we had a quiz, and then went through two new grammar points. We receive homework every day, but it’s a really small amount; just two sentences using the new grammar. After class, I went for lunch with Jo, Kim, Nathan, and his speaking partner (Yuki) and her friend. I had a little bit of a conversation with the Japanese girls, which was great. We were there until almost 1, when we had to get to class. On the way to the CIE building, I bumped into Mori sempai (Ryoko) from koto club. Since she will be studying abroad, she has to come to the afternoon classes (to get used to learning in English), so doesn’t really get a spring break; that’s tough. She let me know there was practice tomorrow from 11 till 3; really stupid time if you ask me. Well, I guess it is fine for everyone but Maarika and I. I’m going to go in my break from 11 to 12, so atleast I’ll get some practice.

So yeah, in Religion we started to cover Shinto, learning about the 神棚 (kamidana – household Shinto shrine), torii, and purity and fertility as “themes” within Shinto. It’s a weird religion in that it has no doctrines; it just is. Someone brought up the fertility festival on Sunday, and I was able to add to that. And that was me done for the day. I went and bought the texts for Onna to Otoko, and then went home, stopping by Avail on the way. I noticed that the boots I’d liked were gone; I wasn’t that disappointed. I didn’t like anything I saw, so I went home empty handed; probably a good thing. Getting back to my room, I got my laundry put away, and then had a nap; and it was longer than 30 minutes. I felt good afterwards though, and got stuck into my homework. Around 7 I went up and had dinner (the leftover chicken on rice). Soon after coming back down, I was visited by Yuji, who asked me if I’d be willing to cook for Sunday’s food party; I accepted the call.

We had a meeting in the lounge (Biancha, Victor, Barbara, Yuji, and I), and each decided what we would make. I had already been thinking about it and, since the theme is food from your own country, I though ANZAC biscuits would be a great idea; they’re yummy and easy to make. The biggest problem is finding the ingredients but Biancha’s helping me with that. She’s going to the American military base near Wakayama on Thursday to pick me up what I need. We each got 2000円 for supplies (which I think is very generous), and then went on our way. I went up to the kitchen to show Biancha what I needed, and then got stuck chatting with Katie, Ash, and Rachel; not that that’s a bad thing. I figured I might as well stay up there anyway since I had cleaning at 9. That went very well. Everyone showed up except Hugo, who was out, and we got everything done relatively fast. I got back down at about 9:30, and got my reading done for Onna to Otoko tomorrow; Hugo arrived back in that time. Then I went out and talked with Simon, who was on Facebook chatting with a very opinionated Japanese student. Well, class at 10 tomorrow; hopefully feeling better too…

No comments:

Post a Comment