Wednesday 3 February 2010

Day 157 - 3rd of February

3:12pm 快速特急
天気:曇り
I’m on the rapid limited express to 香里園 (Korien), in the hopes of witnessing the 節分 (setsubun) festival at 成田山不動尊 (Naritasan fudoson). I just got out of my Onna to Otoka class, which I am now successfully enrolled in since people dropped out of it; so happy. Then I rushed over to Hirakatashi. It’s a cloudy day today and it even snowed for a while when Jo and I were having lunch in Makkas after our Reading class; so cool. I woke up with an hour to get ready this morning, and again made it just in time for class; another fast-paced revision session. After that, Jo and I sat with a few others in the lounge, and Jo finally gave me the souvenir she got for me in Thailand. Reading class was pretty intense; lots of new kanji I didn’t know. And we’re expected to do a lot of self study; up to us to get the grades. Onna to Otoko looks like it’s going to be a great class. Heaps of people in it (for now), and we’re covering a lot of interesting and controversial topics. There will be a lot of in-class films, and maybe even a field trip. Anyway, I’m almost there now…

4:46pm 準急
I’m on the sub-express back to Makino. Sadly, I missed the festival at Naritasan… After getting off the train, I found my way to Naritasan with relative ease; out of the station, past ザ香里園タワー (za korien tawaa - the Korien tower) ~ it’s an immense skyscraper under construction ~, and through a hilly residential area. On the way, I came across 友呂岐神社 (tomorogi jinja – Tomorogi shrine), and there was quite a hubbub. A large group crowed around the shrine, arms raised or bags open, in an attempt to catch the bags of what I thought were the 福豆 (fukumame – lit. “lucky soybeans”), eagerly thrown by the priests. In fact, they turned out to be bags of peanuts; I caught one. I’m not sure why they are peanuts; I’ll have to ask Professor Hester to see if he knows. They’re just not what I typically associate with the festival that’s all. I was glad that at least see some sort of excitement.

I continued making my way toward Naritasan, which I’m pretty sure is a temple. I could be wrong though; there’s nothing in the name to give it away. The procession of people obviously backing their way back from the temple clearly marked my route. So when I did get there, I wasn’t too surprised that it was all over. There were still stalls set up outside, and one guy persuaded me to by a bag of dried fruit, after letting me try some. He did give me an extra handful of dried strawberries though (my favourite), which was really cool; they are so sweet. Well, I’m in Makino now, so have to continue later…

5:59pm 食堂
I’m now in the dining room; never written in my journal in here before. For some reason, I feel too lazy to go downstairs; or maybe I just feel the need to be in the company of others? Anyway, after getting to Naritasan and buying the dried fruit, I went into the main complex to find the aftermath of the festivities. There were peanut husks strewn across the ground, the wind occasionally picking them up playfully. A few people (mostly kids) were reaping the last of the peanuts from the workers who were, already, cleaning and packing up the event. The smell of peanuts turned to incense, as I watched a trickle of people making their rounds, praying, lighting candles, and giving offerings. The main hall was being vacuumed, and the omamori, and fukumame stalls were still open. I was just satisfied taking photos; it was a very beautiful place. There was an Inari shrine on the grounds, and further down a “waterfall” (it wasn’t running).

Eventually, I left the grounds, and made my way back to the station, zigzagging through the streets, past a few more temples and tomorogi shrine. I also took some photos of the art by school kids, that is covering much of the wall that's surounding The Korien Tower; certainly brightens up the view. At the station, I bought my 太巻寿司 (futomakizushi – lit. “thick rolled sushi”). In the Kansai region (that’s me) they are called 恵方巻 (ehoumaki – lit. “Happy direction rolls”). This is because when you eat it, you’re supposed to be facing the lucky direction for that year, which corresponds to the zodiac sign; as today is the traditional New Years of Japan 立春 (risshun – the first day of “spring”). And that’s exactly what I did. After getting back from Makino, and a side-trip to Sanko, I was feeling very hungry, so I orientated myself 西南西 (seinansei – west-southwest), and happily munched away. It was so yummy; my stomach is very content now. So, all in all, today was a good day. I thinking I’ll just do a bit of study and reading tonight. I don’t have class till 12 tomorrow, so I’ll have time to do some more revision then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment