Saturday 13 February 2010

Day 166 - 12th of February

天気:曇り
I’ve just finished watching Withnail and I, an 80’s British comedy set in the 60’s, courtesy of Ash. It was quite funny, though some of the references were lost on me. Anyway, about today… Definitely didn’t get enough sleep last night. I got up after 7:30, but got ready in no time, and made it to uni in time for my 9 o’clock Reading and Writing class. I wasn’t very receptive for either of my Japanese classes, but got through them, and then went down to the lounge and sat with Jacinthe. I enjoyed my reading for Onna to Otoko. It was about 宝塚歌劇団 (Takarazuka kagekidan – Takarazuka Revue), a form of musical theatre in which all roles are played by females; it’s kind of like the modern opposite of Kabuki. After lunch (親子丼 – oyakodon – chicken on rice), I went to the computer lab, and wrote down the ANZAC biscuit recipe, still determined to find rolled oats. I considered other recipes, like lamingtons, or pavlova, but they were more complicated; biscuits are really easy. Then I went to my Onna to Otoko class, where we watched a documentary on the Takarazuka Revue, highlighting both on stage, and behind the stage life for the women who are able to enter; very interesting. It only went for 50 minutes, so we spent the rest of the time just discussing it; the class went fast. Since Takarazuka is actually the city that this originated in (which is just outside Kobe), we might be going to see one of the shows next month as a field trip; I really hope we do.

And with that, uni was over. I went down to the lounge, hoping I’d find Simon. I agreed to help him get to the city office today, to get his alien registration card sorted, but we hadn’t really decided on a meeting place. I didn’t have to worry though, because he was right there. We set off straight away, walking into Hirakata, and to the city office (which I just realised is located on Sunshine Street). The processing was completed painlessly, and now he just has to go back next month to pick up his new card. That done, we were on a new mission; to find rolled oats!!! We visited all three shopping centres in the station and around the station (that’s a lot isn’t it), and I even had a talk with Simon’s friend Tomo over the phone (who didn’t even know what they were). We found oatmeal and muesli, but sadly we could not find rolled oats anywhere; I was quite frustrated. Seeking relief (and since we were in Saty), I took Simon up to the men’s clothing section, and Animate; that took my mind off things, if only briefly. Not wanting to do anything else, we made our way back to uni on foot, enjoying a red bean gozasoro on the way.

Getting back to uni, we met up with Tomo, and soon after walked back home; Simon insisted that even though he had a bike he would walk with me. We talked a lot along the way, teaching Tomo English swear words; very irresponsible of us. When I got back, I didn’t do much, until I went up to make dinner at about 7:15. Since I didn’t have all the ingredients I needed to make either shepherd’s pie or spaghetti bolognese, I decided to experiment. I mixed the mince and frozen vegetables on a fry pan, in pizza, and yakitori sauce, and added macaroni, and cheese. It was a beautifully moist dish, the cheese bound it together well, and it tasted great; a smashing success. Yuji and Asami were already preparing for the food party, making mini okonomiyaki; clever idea. After dinner, Rachael, Rachel, Ash, Katie and I (the regulars), went down to start our Friday night movie viewing. We started off with Sweeny Todd, which Rachael and Katie had never seen before; they really enjoyed it. Then it was onto Withnail and I; which none of us but Ash had seen. And then it was time for bed. I was going to go to the ice festival in Kobe this weekend, but now I’m not so sure. I’ve got the food party to worry about and a speech for Japanese to write; see how I go…

No comments:

Post a Comment