Wednesday 17 February 2010

Day 170 - 16th of February

天気:曇り
This morning I was woken up by something other than my alarm. At 7:35 this morning we had an earthquake!! We have had several since I’ve been here, but this was the first one I actually felt; I was so pleased. It only lasted for about 5 seconds but it was pretty powerful. After that excitement, I fell back to sleep, and finally got out of bed at 9:30. I made egg on toast for breakfast, and then readied myself for uni. I had a vocab quiz in Speaking today, and felt confident about all my answers so that was good. In the hour break, I went to koto club to get some practice in. Maarika and Natalie were also there, Maarika studying and doing her Japanese homework, and Natalie going over the basics and making a start on Sakura sakura. As for me, I practiced a new piece of music we received today. I can’t remember what it’s called but it’s very pretty, and much easier than sandan. I went through the first koto part once, and then went straight onto the second koto part; the tuning is the same for both parts. I think it’ll sound great with both parts together, so that’s what Maarika and I are striving for.

After practice, I quickly ducked over to the convenience store to get a snack, and then went to Religion. We talked about the Shinto gods, Inari in particular. We’re going on a field trip to Fushimi Inari on Sunday, and while I’ve already been once before, I think it’ll be very informative going again with the professor. So that’s something to look forward to on the weekend. After class, I went to pick up a package from Nanny and Poppy, and hastily opened it to reveal a beautiful knitted scarf, a card, and some puzzle books. The scarf was perfect! I’d wanted to by a colourful scarf here, but they’re so expensive for what they are and the fabric isn’t very thick. This will be ten times warmer and it was made with love. Very happy, I made my way onto the main street and walked towards Kirindo, only to find it closed; this was odd. I needed groceries, so I decided I’d go back home, and then go to Sanko later on. I ended up being really lazy again, and just napping until about 6, when I went out to Sanko. I got some okay deals there, but there was hardly any meat left, which was a bummer.

Getting back, I went straight to the kitchen, and started cooking dinner after a brief chat with Ash and Rachael. I decided to make pizza, but tried to be clever by pre-slicing the base into four pieces, before putting my toppings on. For some reason, my stomach was sore (it had been since earlier this afternoon) but I persisted, thinking I might feel better after eating. Pizza in the oven, I went downstairs to get my homework done. 20 minutes later, I was back in the kitchen, to find the cheese spilling over onto the aluminium foil. This proved problematic when trying to separate pizza from foil. It actually turned into a mission, one that had me very frustrated in the end; that’s the last time I use aluminium foil when cooking pizza. I did finally get to eat it, warm and foil-less. Then I sat down with Katie, Ash, Rachael, and Rachel. Rachael had brought down her limited edition Final Fantasy Advent Children box set, and let me read the novel that came with it. This meant that I was only half listening to the conversation, and Rachel was in her funny mood again; everyone was having a good laugh.

Katie had bought a huge punnet of strawberries, and very considerately shared them out to everyone, but only after they were sliced and sugared; of this she was very strict. They were really tasty, a real treat. This made me think of Sweets Paradise; I really want to go there again in the near future. After that, we slowly drifted off, homework beckoning; well at least for the others. The only thing that was beckoning me was my blog, and I was finally able to get Sunday’s entry finished. Now that I’m all up to date again, I can spend way more time studying. I’ve really got to get my laundry done too. I was supposed to do it today, but that didn’t happen since I fell back to sleep. I’ll definitely do it tomorrow, though I don’t know when exactly; probably have to be after uni. Other than that, everything in my life is going really well at the moment, but I can’t stop myself from thinking about when this all comes to an end. I’m really looking forward to going back to Australia, but at the same time I feel that being here has been such a huge part of my life for a long time now, and it’ll sure be weird when that goes away. Anyway, I just have to make the most of the time I have left here; make it something to remember forever…

No comments:

Post a Comment