Monday 1 March 2010

Day 183 - 1st of March

10:10pm セミナーハウス

天気:雨天

I can’t believe it’s already March; I’ve just realised now that I’ve got less than three months here! Anyway, another rainy day today; I really wish the weather would make up its mind… After getting ready, I rode to uni with Simon; it wasn’t raining at the time. We were a little early, so we sat in the lounge, while I went through my vocab. It was only when I got to class that i found out that in fact the vocab test was tomorrow; oh well, nothing wrong with a bit more study. Sensei played Angela Aki’s “Tegami” in class today, a song that I love so much. We had to fill in the blanks while listening to the lyrics, than he let us sing along with a video clip; really want to go to karaoke now. After class, I had an hour to study before my lesson test, and used it to its fullest; I sat with Sarah, Katie, and Rachel. When I got to the test, I was actually really surprised at how it was. Apart from one question, I felt confident about everything else, and I got all the kanji right; I was out of there in half an hour. I guess it helps when we only go through two chapters for each lesson test, unlike in Speaking where we go through three; so crazy. Just have to wait and see the results.


I went to Kirindo to get some groceries, and then came home, having just avocado on toast since I didn’t have any rice left; I’ll have to buy some at Sanko tomorrow. Then I napped for a few hours, before trying to check out the gym with Simon. I say trying, because we couldn’t actually get in there; all the gates were locked. I’ll have to ask Yuji about whether we can actually use it, because I did actually see people in there. I got back I got my blog updated, and did some homework, before going back out again. I was going back to the uni, to see one of Professor Hester’s screenings; every Monday he shows documentaries in the classroom. I had wanted to go see some earlier on, but for some reason or another, never got there. It makes it a lot easier now that I have a bike, that’s for sure. It just started to rain when I got to uni, and after a quick chat with Jacinthe in the bike parking, I made my way over to the CIE building and up to my Gender and Sexuality classroom; Simon was already there, with Jo. I was really surprised at the number of people who had showed up, especially since it was almost 6:30 by this point, and the documentaries are usually an hour. Usually, they’re about issues in Japan, but not this week. This was a documentary about Gay and Lesbian people in developing countries, titled “Dangerous Living: Coming out in the Developing World”.


It was very interesting, and quite moving, examining the lives of gay and lesbian people in Egypt, Honduras, Kenya, Thailand, Vietnam and a few other countries that have received little mainstream media attention. After it had finished, Simon and I rode home in the pouring rain; that wasn’t much fun. It was almost 8, so we went up to make dinner. On the TV, was the closing ceremony for the winter Olympics; I can’t believe it’s over already. So I enjoyed watching the rest of that, while eating my spaghetti. A number of singers and bands performed, including Michael Buble, Avril Lavigne, Nickelback, and Simple Plan. The lighting effects were again spectacular, and there were these really cool helium balls being bounced around in the audience, that would change colour on impact. It ended a little before 9, with fireworks. While the US got the most medals over all, Canada received the most gold; Australia got two gold, YAY!!! I stayed in the kitchen for a bit longer, and then bid everyone goodnight, before going to bug Simon in the computer room. Just about time for bed now, just gotta finish off some homework…

No comments:

Post a Comment