Tuesday 2 March 2010

Day 184 - 2nd of March

11:00pm セミナーハウス

天気:曇り

Finally got back from the kitchen; another night of chatting, cleaning, and eating… I woke up with Hugo already gone this morning, and gave in to the temptation of laying in bed for just that little bit longer; meaning another half an hour. When I did finally get up, I promptly got ready, and then revised my vocab for today’s quiz; that turned out to be okay. After class, I went for lunch with Jo, Kim, and Nathan; Liz and Sarah joined us. After eating my katsudon, I decided to try the (Sakura – cherry blossom) flavoured ice cream they were selling in the cafeteria; along with a plethora of others. It was actually really nice, and I wondered what they made it with; was it just artificial flavours, or did they actually use a part of the flower? Soon enough, it was time again for class, and Religion today was, as usual very informative. Today the professor introduced us to some of the new religions of Japan, including Happy Science, and a number of branch offs from Buddhism. Some were scary, others just plain inane; yay for rhyming words. But they all had one thing in common; pretty buildings. Seriously, I want to go to some of these new religions headquarters; one of them even owns a museum. I actually recognised one of the religion’s buildings ~ 真光 (Mahikari – lit. “true light) ~ from Alex’s blog, since she had been to it in Takayama, Gifu; I thought that was rather cool.


After class, I made my way home, to find that it was once again linen changing day, so I busied myself vacuuming, and making my bed. Then I got my homework done, before Simon returned, and asked if it’d checked out the gym yet; this morning I talked to some people in my Speaking class and found out how to get in. I said I hadn’t, so we went together. Turns out, the gate to get in is actually on the other side; this means walking all the way around the block, and past Seminar House 1. I thought it was a bit ridiculous. But, more ridiculous was us trying to get inside. We ended up walking all the way around the building, before realising that the entrance was right across from the gate. And then we couldn’t even go in! Reading the sign behind the glass, we found out that we needed a second pair of clean shoes to wear inside the gym; now that’s really ridiculous. So, that was that… I needed to get groceries, so I went to Sanko with Simon in tow.


As soon as I put my groceries away, we were out again, riding to Midori. Simon was hoping to buy an electric razor, but after seeing the prices, and not really knowing what would be best for him, he abandoned the idea, and decided to just by some better razors; the cheap ones he’s been buying have been cutting his face. I didn’t feel like it was a waste of time for me, as I got to play on the piano for a while; Simon knew I would. It was getting dark, and the clouds were looking nasty as we rode back, back it didn’t end up raining. As soon as I parked my bike at home, Rachael came out the front door, going to New Delhi for dinner; it took little persuasion for me to join her. So I was off again, on foot this time, to meet up with Sarah at uni, before going on to New Delhi. Tonight, I ordered the mushroom and cheese curry, and with it came that ever-astounding Naan bread, a soup, a laisse, and ice cream for dessert; amazing value for money. And I absolutely loved the curry! This time, it was just the right amount of food, and I left feeling very satisfied, and not at all bloated like last time.


The walk back was dry, and after dropping my stuff in my room, I was soon chatting away in the kitchen. Three hours later (after talking about kanji, spring break plans, and novelty condom stores in Kobe among other things), the girls all dispersed, and I remained to help Biancha with her 銅鑼焼き (Dorayaki – it’s very similar to gozasoro ~ two pancake patties wrapped around red bean paste). We took turns whipping cream, which was not an easy task; how I wished for an electric beater. There ended up being way too much cream, so we shared the rest, making me feel a little sick; I feel fine now though. The cream was part of the filling, along with the bean paste; a new innovation to the recipe. Biancha wasn’t happy with the shape of the pancakes, and while they were indeed not very pretty looking I couldn’t care less; they tasted amazing. I stayed in the kitchen a bit longer, to help clean the piles of dishes that had collected in the sinks; somehow they were still here even after the cleaning group had been through! Anyway, Yuji came up, and got the people in the kitchen to help out; I was grateful for that. Our monthly seminar house meeting is tomorrow, and I’ll be sure to bring up the kitchen problem then; I’m sure I’ll have plenty of support. Well, better get some sleep…

No comments:

Post a Comment