Sunday 14 March 2010

Day 195 - 13th of March

Well, I did get quite a lot done today, even though I didn’t get up till around 11; Hugo arrived home just as I was going to eat breakfast. I did my laundry, showered and shaved, and then dived straight into my 作文 (sakubun- essay) for Reading and Writing. It had to be about something interesting, difficult, or weird about life in Japan, so I decided to write about the Asuka fertility festival; combining interesting and weird. I worked on it solidly the entire afternoon (having a lunchbreak in between), and ended up getting it done shortly before dinner time. I am really happy with it; now I just have to memorise the whole thing for Monday! It was about 7 o’clock when I went up to have dinner; a frozen pizza. It actually tasted really, really nice, and it even came with a basil paste to pour over it. That and the fact that it was 5 times cheaper than buying a pizza from somewhere like Dominos, made it a worthy meal. While eating, I sat with Katie and Sarah, and we watched this program on TV about this really famous samurai named 龍馬 (ryoma – lit. dragon horse), who lead a movement to overthrow the Tokugawa Shogunate during the late Edo Period. The program highlighted things in Japan today that pay tribute to him, including statues, cuisine, paintings, and latte art; his portrait is “painted” into the coffee foam!


Biancha told us that she’d been on a tour in Kyoto to see the sites associated with Ryoma, including his house; sounds like a great day out. After Katie and Sarah left, I sat with Rachel and Ash, and we watched this drama incorporating computer hackers; not really my thing. Rachael also joined us, and as it came to 9:30, I was wondering if we were going to actually watch a movie tonight. Eventually we got down to the lounge, and were soon all absorbed in “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”; Alvaro also joined us. It was about 11:30 when that finished, and then we went on to watch “Labyrinth”; this has been the third time for me. Katie and Alvaro had never seen it before, and they seemed to really enjoy it; Katie even put down her knitting. It is a really good movie, though I can’t help but to cringe when I see David Bowie in tights; we had a good little giggle about that. Tomorrow will probably be the same as today. We were thinking about going into Osaka, but everyone decided it would be better to study; me included. I have so much coming up next week…

No comments:

Post a Comment