Sunday 28 March 2010

Day 210 - 28th of March

10:11pm セミナーハウス
天気:晴れ
Even though I spent the entire day inside, it was far from unproductive; a fitting end to the spring break… I got up at around 10, and after getting ready for the day, I tried to get in touch with the family over skype; I had to get set up in the lounge since Hugo was still sleeping. 30 minutes later, and they still hadn’t picked up; I rung them several times throughout the day, with no luck. So I ended up not talking with them at all, which is a bit of a bummer. Anyway, getting to my room, I worked on my blog until lunchtime; still had a bit to go. I sat and ate with Rachel and Ash, and we talked for a while. When I came back downstairs, I was able to talk with Carly, and we started to plan Tokyo, so I’m going to book the hostel very soon. We talked until almost 2:30, and then it was time for me to get ready for the music party. The koto was already in the lounge, but I also had to retrieve the makura and music stand; okaasan calls it a 立 (tate) which means “to stand”. She also brought out the stand for the koto (same as the ones we used during INFES), which was great cause I meant I could sit on a chair; much better than sitting in seiza on a tiled floor.

Shortly after 5, the performances started, kicking off with Tristan on guitar, which was really amazing; he used so many difficult-looking techniques. I recognised the melody he was playing, and later when I was talking to him about it, he revealed that it was an arrangement from one of Ryuichi Sakimoto’s pieces; I have some of his music. So yeah, I really enjoyed that. Then, it was my turn, and I ended up just playing Hanagoromo, and Sakara sakura at Okaasan’s request; I think everyone enjoyed it. After that, Biancha and Yuji did there Manzai skit, which was absolutely hilarious; they had obviously put a lot of time into it. The skit actually explained what manzai was in a mock classroom setting, so it was not only very funny, but educational too. Manzai is basically stand-up comedy that involves two performers – the tsukkomi and the boke. The boke is basically the idiot, who misinterprets things, forgets, and slips up a lot, and it’s the tsukkomi’s job to correct the boke, and this usually involves physical and verbal abuse. I thought Biancha and Yuji portrayed the roles really well. Biancha was looking for volunteers from the “class”, and every time it was inevitably Yuji. He was supposed to demonstrate how a tsukkomi is supposed to act, but every single time, he ended up becoming the boke; so clever.

So I thoroughly enjoyed that. Then it was time for Otousan to sing, accompanied by Tristan on guitar. He sang sukiyaki, which many of us know, and he did a really good job of it; Otousan’s so awesome. Then it was Brett’s turn on saxophone, and he played some cool jazz. Finally, it was everyone’s turn. After a bit of stuffing around, we ended up getting everyone to sing, John Denver’s “Take me home, Country Roads”. Of course, Yuji made me take the microphone, not that I minded too much; it was kinda fun. That done we had a big group photo around the koto, and then everyone began to slowly disperse. Getting back to my room, I finally got my blog completely up-to-date, and uploaded some more photos to facebook. Soon enough it was time for dinner and I made spaghetti Bolognese, using the taco sauce; turned out tasting really good. I was joined by Ash, Sarah, Rachel, and Katie, while I enjoyed a word game show on TV; I could actually understand some of the questions. Eventually it was just Ash, Rachel, and I, watching the international figure skating competition hosted in Italy; as usual, Rachel was in her happy place. We cheered for the Japanese girls, who were doing really well.

At around 9, I decided it was time to retire for the night, but ended up bumping into Rachael. She was looking for Sarah, but couldn’t find her anyway; a lot of Firefly references ensued. I came up to her room, and she told me that she had looked in Ash and Katie’s room for her, but couldn’t find her. I was then lucky enough to get two CDs off her to burn; the Yoshida Brothers’ “Prism”, and the music from Sengoku Basara, an anime. I’m listening to it now, and it’s really epic. I then went to check in Ash and Katie’s room, and found Sarah casually sitting on Katie’s futon; she told me she had hidden out on the balcony. I had come in here to collect the purikura photos from last Saturday; I got mine, and also went back down to the kitchen to give Rachel hers. Getting back to my room, I found a note and a cookie taped to the door handle; it was a little thank you from the RAs. I had a shower and washed my hair; which still really needs to be cut. Simon got his cut today, and I must say it looks very… interesting; I don’t think I’ll be getting it cut like that. Anyway, maybe I’ll get it done this week. Hugo soon returned, finding a cookie and note on the handle for him too; for lending his cords to Yuji for the music party. He was soon out the door again, leaving me alone for the second time today; he had gone out to Kyoto to watch a movie with a friend. He had also found yatsuhashi, the wonders of which I had introduced to him last week; he’s hooked, just like Diego was. Ah, classes start again tomorrow; I guess I’m looking forward to it. My time here is rapidly expiring, but I still got a lot to do…

No comments:

Post a Comment