Thursday 4 March 2010

Day 186 - 4th of March

10:43pm セミナーハウス
天気:風が吹いて
Just tried to download a Yoshida Brothers album off iTunes, but unfortunately, it’s only found in the American store, and of course, I’m not allowed to buy off that one; so stupid. The Yoshida Brothers, are two brothers (obviously) who play the 三味線 (shamisen – the 3-stringed, guitar-like instrument), in both traditional and non-traditional genres. Saigo sensei showed us one of their performances today, and it was amazing; their hands moved so fast. So yeah, tonight I thought I’d try to download some of their music, but no; obviously Australia hasn’t heard of them yet. Well, I guess I might be able to find their CD’s somewhere. Anyway, today… rainy in the morning, and windy in the afternoon! Since I didn’t have class till 12, I got some reading done this morning, and ate lunch before getting to uni; it was still raining. Speaking class was a lot of fun today. Apart from seeing the Yoshida Brothers, we had a lot of laughs, practicing new grammar. In the last couple of minutes we had to talk about how to make things i.e. how to prepare things like meat, tofu, etc. As in – you add salt, and fry in it oil; that kind of thing.

The last question was one where you had to use your imagination; we have to do this a lot. Saigo sensei told as that one of the students from his class last semester (he does this a lot too), made the question, “How do you make a baby”, and then proceeded to ask me. Using my quick wit, and the grammar at my disposal I said, 「男の人を女の人に乗せます」 (You place a man on top of a woman); a bout of laughter ensued. Saigo sensei was in tears; it was great. I went down to the lounge and talked with Rachel, Rachael, and Simon for a bit, before I had to go to Religion. We had a discussion about the interviews today, and it was really interesting. There was a great mix of religions, new and old. Mostly though, the interviewees said they weren’t religious, even though they visit shrines, buy Omamori, believe in ancestors and the like; this is not “religion”, just the way things are. After that, I followed Ash and Peter around for a little while, and then went to Fresco and Kirindo for groceries. The wind was so strong this afternoon that, when I came out of Fresco, all the bikes had toppled over; I had to rescue mine from under another. I was very glad to get home, and unpacked my groceries before going back to my room. Hugo was there, and I decided I should start practicing koto.

Otousan understood straight away, and eagerly past it on to me, saying it was fine for me to practice in my room; awesome. Hugo enjoyed listening for a while, and then had to leave for class. I continued just playing around for a little while. I really don’t know what I should do for the performance. Maybe I should see if I can find some sheet music on the internet; I wonder how hard that will be. After I finished, I took it back to Otousan, who encouraged me to use it every day, at any time. After that I talked with Simon in the computer room for a while. He talked about all the foods he missed from home, and asked my advice as to what he should ask his Mum to send him. I honestly can’t say that I’m terribly craving anything from back home; and that’s not to say I don’t like anything from Australia. I’m just content with what I have here; it’s really fine. It’s just stuff that I know I can live without, and be perfectly okay. After completing Plants vs. Zombies on my iPod (yay me), and listening to the music video a couple of times (it is epic), I went up to make dinner; it was about 6:30 by this point. It was pretty quiet at this point, which was nice; I made yakisoba. Pretty soon though, people started trickling in. Pokemon was on TV, but I was preoccupied watching Julie cooking her Chijimi.

It’s Korean cuisine, and resembles okonomiyaki; her friend showed her how to make it. She used takoyaki flour and an egg, to create the pancake, and then just added vegetables; you can also add seafood. I was her guinea pig, and got to try a heap of it, and it was amazing; and so simple too. I really want to try and make it. I had already finished eating my own dinner and washed up by the time the group had assembled. Then we proceeded with our usual “2 and a half hour” chat session. During that time, Rachel needed some TCL (issues with friends back in America), and I gave her a big hug; that made her feel a heap better. I made me feel good too; I miss hugs. Lol, the first thing she said when I hugged her was, “you’re skinny”; yep, that I am. We also organised what we’re going to be doing tomorrow. Since I’ll be going with Rachel into Hirakata to get her alien registration sorted, we’re going to pick up New Delhi food for everyone (excluding me – in an effort to save money I’m just going to have my leftover yakisoba), on the way back. Then we’re all going to sit around the TV and watch some more episodes of Firefly; can’t wait. Got back down here at about 10, and then had my plight with iTunes. Well, better get ready for bed now; one more day before weekend once more…

No comments:

Post a Comment