Saturday 13 March 2010

Day 194 - 12th of March

11:47pm セミナーハウス

天気:晴れ

I have been in the kitchen for the last 4 and a half hours just talking; pretty awesome. Since the lounge hasn’t been free all night (and we had originally planned to watch a movie in there), we all just decided to stay where we were; the kitchen… Anyway today was another one of those kinda sunny kinda cloudy days; it wasn’t too cold thankfully. I got up at the sound of Hugo’s alarm, and readied myself for one last day of uni; weekends are so nice. In Reading and Writing this morning (seems like such a long time ago now that I think about it), we read some more Japanese folklores including “The mouse bride”, and “The poisonous starch syrup”; no joke. Then, in the last 10 minutes of class, we got to watch the animated version of “Tsubutorijisan” (the story about the old woodcutter). It was quite funny in parts, and I could understand most of it; there weren’t any subtitles. After that, it was straight to Speaking, and today was our last speech (my mistake). We finished off with keigo, and then got to watch a short movie; can’t remember the title. It was something like “the Samurai cellular phone”, and basically a Samurai in the Edo period finds a cell phone, and is contacted by a guy from the future (obviously) who wants to confirm a historical event; namely, the assassination of Kira Yoshinaka.


This is the story of the 47 Ronin (masterless Samurai), and I remember it from history. While you only saw the lead up to the assassination, it was very funny how the presence of the cell phone, and the guy talking, subtly caused history to go the way it was supposed to, mainly because it motivated Oishi (the leader of the group), who wasn’t at all interested in avenging his master; Lord Asano was made to hara-kiri (cutting of the belly) after attacking Kira out of anger (he was very annoying) in the palace, which was against the law. While reciting a most moving speech to the guy on the phone, he doesn’t realise his men are behind him listening; this inspires them to attack. Eventually, Oishi accepts his fate, and the story ends with them all donned in armour, marching towards the castle; they end up killing Kira (cutting his head off and burying it with their lord) and then they turn themselves in, and are eventually all ordered to commit suicide. Right at the end of the movie, the guy who is talking on the phone is finally revealed, and it zooms out to show a huge room filled with people talking to historical figures; very cool. This one did have subtitles, though it was still cool to pick up bits and pieces.


After that I had a bit of a break, so after going grocery shopping (again), I went home and had some lunch, and then had a little nap. I got back in time for Gender and Sexuality, in which I got to watch yet another movie; what a great day. This one (called “Ripples on the Water”) was about women’s lib in Japan in the 70’s; and I seriously didn’t even know they had had one. Well, they had, and while it wasn’t as dramatic as in the West, the efforts of those women have slowly been affecting Japanese society. It was narrated by a women who had gone to America (to escape the restraints of Japan), and had met a women named Fumiko who was part of the lib. After she died (of lung cancer), the women returned to Japan, to seek out Fumiko’s family and friends, and other women who took part in the movement. These women believed not in changing society, but changing themselves, so that society would slowly change around them; interesting logic. One thing that struck me in particular was when she visited a couple who had a family, but weren’t married. The kids of this couple were discriminated at school, not only by other students, but also by the teachers; I thought that was disgusting. Their parents were really supportive though, and I think they’ll grow up to be strong; fighting against conformity just like their parents.


So yeah, that was all very interesting and imformative, and it basically last for the entirety of the lesson; then I was free. Reaching the parking lot, I met up with Peter, and we rode together until the library, since he was going to Kuzuha; I on the other hand, was just going home. Simon and I had decided to meet up at 3:30 to go to the gym. Well, 3:30 came, but Simon didn’t. I waited in the lounge for about 10 minutes, and then decided to just go on my own; I was too pumped not to go. Getting there, I signed in, changed shoes, and descended into the basement where the gym was. It was bigger than I had expected and had a plethora of equipment. After putting my stuff in a locker, I went in to check it all out. I soon got chatting to another guy there (can’t remember his name – I really am terrible), and had a go on the bikes. 15 minutes later, I went onto to the hydraulic equipment. Half the fun was in figuring out how to use it, but I got a general understanding of most of it; although I was scared that some of them would blow up. A lot of the equipment seemed very well worn, which wasn’t comforting at all. There were also free weights, but I even going to touch them. After about 30 minutes of arm and leg exercises, I did some stretching, and then a warm down bike ride for 10 minutes. In that time, Andrew (whom I had met last semester and gone out with on one occasion) came in. He went over to the bench, and did some weights, which was actually a bit scary to watch; I was afraid the bar would fall on him. But he did a decent amount; I was impressed. After my bike ride, I went over and we caught up, as he tried some of the hydraulic stuff.


Soon after, he left, and I followed suit, saying goodbye to the other guy; it was almost 5 o’clock. I felt pretty good, though my muscles weren’t sore enough. I’m sure I’ll get a good routine going soon enough, to make the most of everything. Getting back, I found Simon in the computer room, and was about to give him the reprimand of his life, when he explained to me his plight; he lost his bike key, again! He spent a few hours looking for it, and failed, so he had to leave his bike at uni; he’s hoping he can find his spare key now. So that was permissible, and I did feel kinda sorry for him; even though it’s stupid that he lost it in the first place. Anyway, he still very much wants to go, and we’ll probably go Monday afternoon; I might go tomorrow too, if it’s open. With that sorted, I went to my room, and waited for dinner time, uploading some photos to deviant art. Sarah and Rachel had decided to take up my invitation make tacos, so I told them we’d meet in the kitchen at 7. I was very hungry by that point but with their help, everything was done in no time, and the three of us were soon enjoying tacos; a very messy, but tasty meal indeed. Then as I said, we spent the rest of the night chatting; it was great. Very sleepy now; probably just do some laundry, study, and get started on my take-home exam for Gender and Sexuality tomorrow. Hugo's not back yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment