Tuesday 16 March 2010

Day 198 - 16th of March

10:38pm セミナーハウス
天気:晴れ
Hugo’s just gone out again (no doubt for birthday celebrations), leaving me alone once again (not that I mind), looking up at his present hanging on the wall every now and then. His speaking partner’s mum wrote Hugo’s name using kanji on a card of paper, which can fits into a hanging scroll; so cool. The kanji she chose are really great too – 灯 (hi – light); 癒 (yu – healing); 優 (u – kindness); 護 (go – protection). And, it was also a really nice day today, albeit windy; it was so great to be able to walk around without gloves or a beanie… I got up at around 9, and got a bit more practice in for my oral; and changed it again. When it came time to do it, it actually went quite well. I felt comfortable talking with Saigo sensei; he wasn’t nearly as intimidating as Miyauchi sensei was. So, I was very happy (and relieved) when I got out of his office at around 20 past 11. The funny thing was, I took the place of another guy (since he hadn’t shown up), and then Kim had to take my actually time, because the guy after me didn’t show up either; actually, I saw him waiting outside the office after Kim had already gone in.

Anyway, after that, I went down to the lounge and sat with Katie and Rachel, and did my reading for Religion; it was pretty boring but anyway. For lunch, I got Makkas (which was absolutely packed because many of the Japanese students were on campus today), and kinda regretted it afterwards; the California burger was nice, but it really wasn’t anything special. Religion soon came around, and today we talked about AUM 真理教 (AUM Shinrikyo – “Supreme Truth), a New Religion that was behind the sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway almost 15 years ago (March 20th); scary right. The organisation is now known as Aleph (the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet – inferiority complex much) and the original leader Asahara was sentenced to death by hanging in 2004; that sentence still hasn’t been carried out. That attack remains the most serious act of terrorism in Japan’s modern history. Our professor related to us what it was like living in Japan in that time (since she was already over here); it was a whole different Japan, she said.

After that very interesting, and scary class, I went home and at around 3:30, went to the gym. I decided would be a good energy booster, and it really was. I came back feeling very sore (still am now), but really motivated to work on my essay for Gender and Sexuality. As for Simon, he wasn’t back when I left, but he actually got to the gym just after I left; since it closes at 5, he didn’t get much time unfortunately. Tomorrow will be my recovery day, and then hopefully I can find the time to go again on Thursday. I got a lot more research done for my essay (pretty much finished that now), and it was my stomach that eventually drew me away from it. I made gyudon tonight, and it turned out wonderfully; I think it’ll be one of the dishes I’ll have to cook for my family. It’s so easy, and so yummy. After eating, I sat with Ash and Rachel (and Katie when she came down), and we chatted, and laughed until 9:30. We were all quite hysterical to be honest, and all the laughter only added to my already aching sides. Well, it’s about for bed now; two days down, three to go…

No comments:

Post a Comment