Monday 8 March 2010

Day 189 - 7th of March

6:46pm 快速
天気:雨天
I’m on the rapid express back to Amagasaki; alone. Today was a lot of fun, even though the weather’s been poor. I’m feeling pretty tired now and just want to get back, eat, and then get some sleep… We didn’t get back from karaoke until after 3 this morning; it was totally worth it though! I slept until 9:30 and the readied myself for the day. I decided to wear my orange pants, which turned out to be a bad idea, and not because they attract too much attention. When I bought the pants, there was already a small tear in the left leg, but unfortunately when I bend down, it sits over my knee, and so you can imagine; there’s a huge rip in it now. The pants are still getting plenty of attention, but now it’s the wrong kind; I’m a little embarrassed.

6:55pm 快速
I decided to just stay on the same train since it’s going all the way through to Kyobashi. So yeah, I’m not happy about the pants at all. I’ll have to get Nanny to fix them when I get back; that could be fun… I rode to Makino, and parked my bike in the gutter; hopefully it’s okay still. Then I took the local to Hirakatashi, where I met up with Erin, and we proceeded to take the rapid express to Kyobashi. I knew we could get directly to Takarazuka from Kyobashi (having seen the line when we went to Kobe) so we went for that. Erin and I had decided to go earlier, apart from the rest of the class, so we could check out the area a bit, and see the museum beforehand; the show didn’t start till 3. There are five troupes that make up Takarazuka, each with their own unique style: 花 (hana – flower), 月 (tsuki – moon), 雪 (yuki – snow), 星 (hoshi- star), and the newest troupe, 宙 (sora – cosmos). We would be seeing the snow troupe performing today, with ソルフェリーノの夜明け (Soruferino no yoake – The Dawn at Solferino), as the musical, and カルネヴァーレ睡夢 (karunevaru suimu – Carnevale: A Sleeping Dream), as the revue.

After changing over at Amagasaki, we were on our way to Takarazuka, and made it there before 1. We crossed over from the JR station to the Hankyu Station (the two opposing each other), and had a look around the department store, before finding something to eat; Ramen! We also noticed some of the students in uniform and actors from the Revue (clearly Otokoyaku from there slicked back, short-cropped hair), and contained ourselves not to bother them; there was heaps of merchandise and posters around the department store. After lunch, we made our way over to some buildings, clearly part of the Revue complex (beautiful architecture), and spent time browsing the shops. We walked past an English pub, went into one of the Revue gift shops (everything was so expensive), and even found a small gallery. The artwork was all animal inspired, and the guy there let us take photos, which I found very surprising; maybe because we’re foreigners? After walking through some gardens in the rain, we found our way into the 大劇場 (Daigekijo – Grand Theatre), stumbling upon the museum. Since we received a discount card from the professor when we got the tickets, we thought why not give it a look. I was once again surprised when they said we could take pictures; it certainly made it worthwhile. It wasn’t too big, but there were any costumes, poster, and photos displayed, and we even got some ink stamps; they had a special sheet to put them on…

7:25pm 特急
Now I’m on the limited express back to Hirakatashi, to change over for Makino… Coming out of the museum, we soon spotted to class (very good timing indeed), and after we signed off with Hester, we entered the main hall; it was very grand indeed. After a few more photos (including that of a grand piano that played itself – creepy), we went to get seated; up to lots of escalators to the second level. We were in what the American’s liked to refer to as the nose bleed seats, and indeed we were very high up, though not right up the back. The building’s interior, like its exterior, was really very beautiful, and the stage was no exception. It was immense; by far the largest I’ve ever been in. And then the show! Wow, I was so impressed; never have I seen anything like it before. In some respects, it was more amazing than Beauty and the Beast. The props, costumes, and even the stage itself were spectacular. There was a also a live orchestra, set up in the pit in front of the stage, which was surrounded by a walkway that the actors would frequently use. And although we were quite far back, the view was still good, and seeing all the action was no problem. Lots of people had binoculars, allowing them to see the intricate details of the costumes and make up.

7:39pm
I’m on the sub-express back to Makino; almost home… All the acting was amazing, but I was especially impressed by the Otokoyaku (male role-players), who really could have past as men; well, apart from their sometimes overtly sparkly costumes. But in singing, speaking, and demeanour, they were very masculine and powerful. The Dawn at Solferino was set in 1859, and focused on the war between Italy and Austria, and the creation of the Red Cross. It was very moving; though I’m sure I would have appreciated it more if I could have understood it all. It lasted for about an hour and a half, and then we had a 30 minute intermission. In the time, we all gathered at the grand staircase, and Hester got a picture of us; well several actually, and with several different lenses. Sitting back down again, we were treated to Carnevale, set in Venice, and very, very colourful. It was in complete contrast to Solferino, having no real plot, but instead an amazing array of singing and dance routines. The costumes just kept on getting bigger, more elaborate, and more sparkly, and the stage floor not only rotated, but also had platforms that the actors could ascend from below the stage on. The huge props moved around so fluidly before our eyes, and the lighting was magical…


After it was all over, just on 6 o’clock, Erin and I went to the gift shop (which incidentally is called “Qautre Reves” which means “Four Dreams” in French ~ this kind of doesn’t work anymore since there are now five troupes; I’m surprise they haven’t changed it). Erin was in a bit of a rush since she was going on to a party in Osaka, so I let her go, and continued to browse for a while. I was very excited when I happened upon the piano sheet music for some of their performances. I decided to go out on a limb and buy a book; the piano and vocals for the musical titled “Elizabeth”. I discovered later that this is the most successful German-language musical of all time, and was performed by the snow troupe; which made the purchase all the more meaningful since I’d just seen them. I exited the shop, and sat down on the floor to sort out all the paper I’d collected and accidently ripped my pants even further…

Getting back to Makino, I found my bike very wet, but otherwise okay. Wiping off the seat, I made my way home; luckily it wasn’t raining at that point. As soon as I got back, I went to have a shower to get nice and warm, and then I made gyudon for dinner. I stayed in the kitchen for a little way, talking with Jacinthe, and then I retired to my room, and got in some more study for Monday’s lesson test. I decided to have an early night; Hugo came back sometime after midnight. I thoroughly enjoyed Takurazuka, and would jump at the chance to go again; there is another theatre in Tokyo! Looking back on it now, it was kind of funny that I was one of only two guys in the class that went; I think that says something. Indeed, the majority of the audiences are women, getting there fix of ideal men played by women. I was there for a completely different reason, and came out with a great respect for the actors and their professionalism. It really was an experience like no other, and I’ll remember it for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment