Saturday 7 November 2009

Day 69 - 7th of November

10:20 セミナーハウス
天気:晴れ
Feeling much better today; just the remnants of the cold remain. I made Milo pancakes this morning! They tasted pretty good actually. Now that I've got the hang of making them, each time I do, I'm going to try different flavours; it's going to be fun. At 12, Carly and I made our way to the INFES "party". It was actually a lot of fun, but not something I would define as a party. We actually had a competition of sorts, between each of the booths, with money for prizes; 3000円 1st; 1500円 2nd; 500円 3rd. First was a quiz with a twist. Before we could answer the question, we had to move three glass beads from one plate to the other using chopsticks!!! There were seven people on each team (each booth), and only when you had successfully answered a question, could you move and the next person take your place. The first team to answer 7 questions won. The questions were pretty easy, although biased toward Americans (fair enough). There were two Australian questions though; what is the capital of Australia, and; what continent can you find the platypus on? In the end, it was our booth that came out on top; yay!

After the quiz, it was actually pretty disorganised. The next game we played was basically writing down hints on the board, and the other players had to guess what the word/thing it was. That didn't work out so well, so they decided to just ditch that, and play jan ken pon (rock, paper, scissors), to decide who would go away with the prizes (on top of the points accumulated from the quiz). We ended up coming second, which was really cool. The 1500円 will go towards something for our booth. After that, Carly and I went to the cafeteria for lunch, and no I did not get katsudon. I go a tofu with spicy sauce and rice dish; I was really good. At that point it was about 2 30. So we waited around for the concert to start. We arrived at 3 30, and took our seats right in the middle; the auditorium is very grand indeed. At 4 on the dot, the players took to their seats, followed soon after by the conductor.

Wow, what can I say. The music was absolutely spectacular; I wish I would have recorded it. The conductor was so enthusiastic; it was amazing to watch. The wind orchestra played 4 pieces, and when they played selections from Princess Mononoke I almost died; sooooo good!!! This other piece they played, "Escape from Plato's cave", was epic. I really want to find it and listen to it again. Gosh, and when they finished a piece, the speed in which they all stood up was absolutely astounding. After an interval, the marching band and colour guard performed. For me, this was really special, since I've never had the opportunity to see anything like it. We really should pick it up in Australia; it looks like a lot of fun. There was a section where a drum group came out playing on plastic garbage bins, buckets and stools (along with the kettle, and bass drums); It was so cool. It ended up finishing at about quarter past 5. It was such a wonderful experience; and free too!

From uni, we walked over to Fresco. Carly needed bread, and I picked up some things including chicken bits, which I had with rice and leftover sauce, for dinner. Watched the TV for a while in the dining room, then I finalised my presentation and printed it out. Cleaned the kitchen at 9; a lot more people showed up this time, which was nice. Watched some more TV and sipped on Milo. Had a shower and shave and brushed my teeth, and now I'm pretty much up to date. I'm really looking forward to going to Kyoto tomorrow. Hopefully we don't spend too long there; I still have Japanese homework to do. Anyway better get to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment