Sunday 8 November 2009

Day 70 - 8th of November

10:31am 快速急行
天気:晴れ
We're finally on the train to Kyoto. It's Carly, Mark, Justin, Maureen and I. Sean and Charlie didn't end up showing up unfortunately, but after 30 minutes wait for Mark and Justin (with Maureen as a tag along) I was ready to leave.

5:44pm 快速急行
We're on the rapid express back to Makino... Getting off the train this morning, Mark knew the way to the shopping district, so I let him lead. We got there easily enough, then it was a matter of me remembering where the shop was. After figuring out where the cinema was, I was able to find my bearings, and got everyone to the shop; "Harajuku Chicago" - selling used clothes and kimono. We spent about an hour in there, trying to figure out what to get. The obi's were quite expensive, and we felt a little discouraged so decided to shop around some more. The proved a fruitless venture; everywhere else was ridiculously expensive. So, Harajuku Chicago it was...

Mark, Justin, and I all took another took and eventually came out satisfied enough. I ended up getting a 襦袢 (Jubun - under robe), 羽織 (Haori - kimono jacket) with a 羽織紐 (Haori-himo - tasseled, woven string fastener for Haori), and the kimono itself. Men's kimono are really plain; I decided on browns. It seems silly but, the under robe has a design and you don't even see it; all you see is the plain collar. Even the pattern on the Haori is on the inside. So really, men get to be pretty dull. It cost a little more than I wanted it to but at least I have one now. Unfortunately I didn't get an obi; none suited the kimono. So I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do about that, but I'm just going to take my yukata obi tomorrow so at last I can practice with the whole outfit. Maybe I'll be able to borrow an obi from someone?

Anyway, feeling very hungry, we went our separate ways in search of food, only to find each other again in the same restaurant; "First Kitchen" - a ripoff of McDonalds. Although, I have to say, the fries were cool; they came in many different flavours. After lunch, Carly and I decided to see a movie, "Push", which didn't start until 3:15, so we wandered around for a bit, stopping at a few temples. The movie tickets are a little expensive; 1500円, and that's with the student discount. Carly had to buy the popcorn (caramel - so good), and pay for 500円 of my ticket; some gentlemen I am. I'd run out of money, well... I had enough to buy the train ticket home. The theatre was number 6, on the 6th floor; we took the elevator up. So, with our tickets, numbered by our pre-chosen seats, we made our way in.

The movie turned out to be really good. I won't go into the details here, but the ending left you feeling like there was more to come; hopefully there is. We came out at about 5:15 and it was almost dark. We found our way out onto the main street, and figured out how to get back to the train station; Sanjo this time. Carly stopped off at Book Off, and got one of her manga, "Tsubasa". Then we got on the train... We're almost at Kuzuha now, to change over for Makino.

11:04pm セミナーハウス
Well, I'm almost over my cold, and another weekend is over; it really is going fast. Got back and made dinner (stir fry again), and then did my homework for Japanese. Cleaned the kitchen for the last time in a while, and watched as buildings were being demolished by explosives on TV (intentionally of course). I'm all ready for my presentation tomorrow, and here's hoping I do okay; I'm first up!

No comments:

Post a Comment