Monday 7 December 2009

Day 92 - 30th of November

10:20pm セミナーハウス
天気:晴れ
Wow, the last day of November; it was an okay day. Still wiped out from Hokkaido, and had a bit of a headache in the day. We finished all our vocab quizzes in Speaking as of Friday (I obviously wasn't there, but I'm able to drop it so the 0 doesn't count toward my final grade). We're still learning new grammar though, from the wedding simulation movie. I had my writing composition in Reading and Writing, and was a little bummed out that I didn't write as much as a wanted. CEL was good. We had a short discussion about Koreans in Japan, as a continuation of our previous classes, and then watched a documentary for the rest of the class; "Sour Strawberries" - foreign workers in Japan. It shed a whole new light on Japan, telling of the struggles immigrants have getting into the workplace, especially those without qualifications, and some of the horror stories from the workers and people fighting against racial discrimination. One particular story hit hard - an activist went to negotiate with a boss of a worker from Bangladesh, over refusing to pay the employee their 5000円 wage (a very small amount), and the boss poured gasoline over him, and burnt him, almost killing him. It's really scary.

Japan's facing a crisis (declining population) which means less people for jobs and yet, there are no measures in place to protect the rights of the foreign immigrants they so desperately need. Anyway, it was certainly and eye-opener. Afterwards, my head throbbing, I decided not to go to koto, and walked home. Talked with my parents, and bro for most of the afternoon, then had dinner (udon with veggies). I'm feeling fine now, just really tired. Got the skit coming up on Thursday, so gotta practice hard for that. This weekend we're hopefully going into Kyoto again, to the Toji flea market, and then to see another of the temples lit up. Also on Friday, I'm going to the after party for my singing booth which should be fun. Got my suitcase all unpacked today, and my Christmas box is coming together nicely. Well, time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment