Friday 18 December 2009

Day 109 - 17th of December

天気:寒い
Today went from slow to exciting. Since I had my History exam, I spent the morning studying. I also got some of my laundry done; finally. I had to do some hand washing and the freezing water was not a pleasant experience at all. After lunch, I had a shower just to warm myself up. Oh, and I found out that we have clothes lines on the second floor. I can’t believe I never realised this till now but, I was looking out the window on the 4th floor and I saw them. Not that I’m going to use them, but still; really cool. Got my History exam done; I feel okay about it but it wasn’t great. Essay writing just isn’t my thing. Got out at about 4, and that ended all my exams, and university for this semester; wow! I went over to the post office to send off the last of my Christmas cards. I met Jo there, and we walked back into the uni. At first I thought I was just seeing things, but then I realised it was actually snowing; not much, but it was! It did so for a couple of minutes; small flakes. The clouds were so far away, but the wind was indeed very strong. And the cold; it feels like Hokkaido cold now.

I said goodbye to Jo and met Christina. She had to take her books back to the library, which she thought was going to be a problem since her card was now void; they’d punched a hole in the magnetic strip. It turned out fine though. Then we went to get her 10,000円 deposit back at the Shombu office. Finally I took a picture with her and we said our farewells; another one gone. I got back to the dorm, got my laundry in and hung it up. Carly joined me shortly after, and helped me pick out clothes for tonight. I decided to wear a shirt and vest, so I put my huge Hokkaido jacket over the top. We walked to university, to meet the group at the front gate. It snowed again for a bit as we were approaching. Since we arrived a little early, we decided to check out the ceramics and sumi-e exhibition on the second floor of the CIE building. It showcased the students’ works in these courses; there were some amazing items.

We went out to the front gate, and stood out in the cold waiting for the remainder of the group to arrive. Mark was last, coming on his bike, and he let us know that Justin would be coming shortly, and would meet us at the restaurant. After a short walk, we made it to “Ages Café”. Inside was so nice and warm, and the décor was so cool. It was like stepping into someone’s house. There were lounges and dining tables, and parts sectioned off. The walls were warm bright colours, or had colourful paintings or photos on them; it had a great feel., We took up the back corner of the room. At first we thought they were serving us gin, but it was just water in a gin bottle; clever. The menu had been pre ordered, and while the service was a bit slow, the food was delicious. We started off with a salad, and moved through pizza (two types), garlic bread, potato wedges (sooooo good), two types of pasta, ravioli and sausage, and rice; such a great blend of food and flavours. There were three large plates of each course, so we shared everything. Since we ate at a gradual pace, I felt very content by the end of it; not bloated or sick at all, which could have happened. This also gave us plenty of time for pictures, present giving, and conversation.

Midori sempai joined us near the end, and got to enjoy the last of the food. We must have been there for over two hours. Finally, after people had had their tea or coffee (I stuck with water), we left for karaoke. Some people had to leave, so there ended up being 11 of us in Karaoke (we were joined by a Japanese guy from the Spanish club, whose name escapes me). The place was pretty expensive, so Midori and Saki sempai went to check out if Ring (the other karaoke place in the station) had any rooms available. It was completely booked out, with foreign students, as we had feared; today would have been the last day of exams for many. So, we waited around for free time to start at 11:30, in the mean time booking two rooms. Carly had to leave, because she had a paper due the next morning; silly girl. While we were waiting, I spotted Eddy and Sonia emerging from one of the rooms, looking very alive. They left with a big group of international students. I was ready for a long, hard karaoke session…

No comments:

Post a Comment